How can I be sure a used truck gearbox will be reliable?
Truck gearboxes, whether manual or automatic, are hardy machines. They can comfortably rack up over 500,000 kilometres if well looked after and we’ve seen original gearboxes in trucks that are over twenty years old working perfectly fine.
The longevity of a gearbox depends on the care it has throughout its lifetime. Gearboxes require servicing intervals the same as engines, although less frequently. Both manual and automatic gearboxes need to have a healthy supply of clean oil and this is what a service delivers. So if you are looking to buy a used truck gearbox, the best way to be sure that it will be reliable and fit for purpose is to go for one with a healthy service history.
But this does not always guarantee success. So, it’s also worth exploring the following:
- How many kilometres has the gearbox covered? – Logic dictates that the less mileage a gearbox has, the less it will have worn and the better its condition will be;
- Is it automatic or manual? – Manual gearboxes are cheaper to repair than automatic gearboxes. So an automatic gearbox is less likely to have been repaired using low quality parts in the past, nor will it have been operated in human error as much;
- Who are you buying the used truck gearbox from? – Established truck part companies have a reputation to uphold and they are not in the business of selling dodgy gearboxes. At M.W. Truck Parts for example, if we say that a used gearbox is working and fit for purpose, we mean it;
- What’s the gearboxes history? – If a gearbox has been removed from a truck that’s been written off, then there may be an underlying problem with the gearbox and other elements of its transmission, so be wary of written off trucks;
- Does the gearbox have a warranty? – Some used gearboxes will still have an original manufacturer’s warranty. If this is the case, it’s an excellent thing to have.
It’s important for us to say also that the only real way to know that a used truck gearbox will be reliable is to put some mileage on to it. You will be able to judge its behaviour for yourself and see if there’s anything wrong with it. Most used truck gearboxes operate perfectly fine once installed in their new home.
Tags used truck gearbox